Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A change of perspective.

Good times with good people in
Downtown Asheville!
This past weekend I was fortunate enough to be able to go with Wingate's Campus Outreach ministries to Asheville, NC for a Winter Blast conference. Lord knows I have a bad track record with trips to Asheville but ALL WENT WELL PRAISE GOD!!!!

The weekend was focused on the glory of God and what "glory" really entitles.
Scripture involved was 2 Corinthians 3 and 4.

What was learned.

Glory is this thing that is difficult to define but easy to see. As humans created by God, we find an ache in our hearts to find glory; but, often we don't really understand what that really entails. 
For me, I have always had this aching to SEE glory in all the corners of the world- in the palace of Versailles, at the Eiffel Tower, in the vineyards of Italy..... But glory is not necessarily something that is always seen. 
A synonym for glory is "weightiness." This idea baffled me. Glory isn't just something that you SEE, it is something that you FEEL. The Bible talks about the Glory of God as being something that makes you want to physically escape your body. This idea of "weight" is not a bad kind of weight, but the feeling of something so powerful and magnificent, your body just has no idea how to react to it. 

It occurred to me: maybe those European wonders are not actually "glorious."

We are incapable of experiencing the extent of God's glory. In fact, those in the Bible who beheld more than just a glimpse of it pretty much died. But God sent Jesus so that we could experience His glory here on Earth. Wherever there is glory in the world, it is but a small reflection of Jesus. 
Jesus is the image of the invisible God and has given us the chance to experience glory that is so much more valuable than the "glory" of what some guy built hundreds of years ago.
No, this is the glory of what God created at the beginning of time! This is what God allowed us to experience when He sent His son to tear the veil that separated us from experiencing His glory until we are able to see Him face to face.

What does this mean for me?

I have made the decision not to study abroad. Some might think: "Really? You've given up on your dream THAT quickly?!" But heres the thing... that really isn't my dream.
I know that my dream is to be able to go to France and see all these historical things and that is STILL in my future plans... but I've accepted the fact that this is not what my life is about.
My life purpose is not to go travel the world to say I have traveled the world and see all of these wonderful and amazing things. 
And I know that I had mentioned that it was about the people and what I could learn from them, but the problem is: I'm not fluent in any other language than English. I can't learn much from people if I can't communicate with them. Not only this, but I would put myself farther into debt if I went somewhere that did not give me credit to my Psychology major and allow me to graduate on time or early (like I'm hoping to be able to do). 
I've asked God to show me what to do and to lead me where He wants me to be and although I don't know where that is yet, I know that it is not a semester abroad. 
I've decided to open a savings account and start saving for a trip to France, however, my focus CANNOT be on the things of this Earth.
I need to have an ETERNAL focus. 





I am so thankful for the people God has surrounded me with since I have started off a life on my own and I am overwhelmingly grateful that He has made this past year an experience of knowing Him better and putting a longing in my heart to see His glory.

All glory be to Christ!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment